What are trade associations?
Trade associations (TAs) are a vital piece of the independent music ecosystem, offering advocacy, education, and community resources to independents. TAs operate as a global network, and consist of independent labels, distributors, and rights-holders from specific regions around the world. WIN connects and supports independent music trade associations globally, and IMPALA works on behalf of associations across Europe.
TAs offer the following types of services to members:
- Professional development programs.
- Connecting members with key industry partners.
- Representation in regional industry, media, and legislation.
- Leading trade missions and helping facilitate access to international markets.
- Conducting research and producing reports on the global independent music sector.
- Providing active support and other services for members.
How do Merlin members benefit from trade association membership?
Merlin is proud to work closely with trade associations to empower independents across the globe. Merlin members who are also members of trade associations receive a 1.5% admin fee (discounted from 3%). If there are no trade associations yet active in your home country, Merlin members from such countries will also receive the 1.5% admin fee.
How can I join a trade association?
Please click here to see if there is a TA currently active in your country. The global network of trade associations is always growing!